Use wheat in recipes your family already likes, then it is not totally unfamiliar and you know the recipe is good.
Try wheat in desserts first--who can turn down a chocolate chip cookie?
Do not feel you must use 100 percent whole wheat. Half white and half whole wheat gives excellent results.
Hard white wheat is sometimes milder to the digestive system than red wheat.
Grind only enough wheat flour to be used in a week's time for greatest freshness and nutrition.
How to substitute whole wheat in your favorite recipes:
- Wheat flour is heavier than white flour and needs more leavening.
- In yeast breads, use more yeast and/or let it rise longer.
- In baking powder leavened products, increase baking powder to 1 tsp for each 3 cup of whole wheat flour.
- Recipes using baking soda need not be adjusted.
- In baked products using eggs, separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff Then fold in just before baking. For extra lightness, an extra separated egg may be added. Good for waffles and especially cakes.