- Cook rice in beef or chicken broth instead of water.
- Mix cooked rice with a variety of items--sliced mushrooms, sauteed onions, pieces of bacon, vegetables, grated cheese, etc.
- Try sour cream and chives mixed into rice
- Substitute 1/2 cup fruit juice (orange, apple, cherry) for 1/2 cup water when cooking. Vegetable juice cocktail or tomato juice may also be exchanged for 1 cup of the water used in cooking.
- Add one of the following herbs to the cooking water when preparing rice: 1/8 tsp dried thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, basil or savory; 1/2 tsp celery seeds or dried dill; seasoned salt instead of salt; 3/4 tsp dried marjoram; 1 small bay leaf
TO COOK RICE:
One cup of uncooked rice equals 3 cups of cooked rice or four servings. Combine 1 C uncooked rice, 2 C Boiling water, 1 tsp salt
Combine the ingredients. Bring to a boil in a covered pan, stirring several times. Lower the heat to simmer. Cook about 15 minutes without removing the lid or stirring, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
NOTE: Brown rice contains fatty acids that cause it to go rancid rapidly. It will only store six months when exposed to air and 1 -2 years in packages where the oxygen has been removed.
FRANKFURTER SOUP: Yield 2 – 3 servings
2 frankfurters, thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped onions
1 soup can water or milk
1 tbsp butter
1 can tomato soup
½ c cooked rice
Brown the frankfurters and onions in butter. Add soup, liquid and rice. Heat and serve.
RICE PILAF: Yield 8 servings
2 c rice
4 c liquid (chicken broth if served with fowl; beef broth if served with beef)
¾ c chopped celery
¾ c chopped carrots
¾ c chopped green onions
1 c slivered almonds (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can chunk turkey or beef (optional)
Brown rice lightly with butter in skillet. Place in casserole with boiling broth. Cover and bake for 30 min. at 350 deg. Take from oven and add vegetables and nuts, stirring and mixing well with fork. Return to oven for 30 min.
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 c uncooked long grain rice
8 pieces of chicken
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
In a bow, combine soups and rice. Place in a glass 9X13 inch pan. Place chicken on top of soup and rice mixture. Sprinkle dry onion soup mix over chicken. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 deg. For 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours.
1 ½ c rice
¼ c oil
¼ c chopped onions
1 clove garlic
Brown rice in oil. Add onion & garlic. Sauté.
2 c chicken broth
1 c water
¼ tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
Bring to boil, then simmer 20 -30 minutes with lid on. Check periodically. Add more water if necessary but do not stir. Cook until rice is soft and liquid is gone. Serve with refried beans, enchiladas and shredded lettuce.