- Beef, chicken or ham bouillon granules or cubes: Adds flavor to rice, barley & wheat. Also a base for soups, sauces & casseroles.
- Soy Sauce: Adds saltiness to stir-fry vegetables & fried rice, stews, chicken & fish.
- Flavor Enhancers: Red & Black Pepper, Paprika, Turmeric, Vinegar, Dry or Prepared Mustard, Tabasco Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce.
- Aromatic Herbs like Marjoram, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Basil & Sage: Add flavor to soups, casseroles, salads and sauces.
- Aromatic Seeds like Anise, Caraway, Celery, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Poppy & Sesame Seeds: Good sprinkled over home-baked breads and rolls or stirred into salad dressings.
- Sweet Spices like Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, Allspice & Mace: Sweetening effect to breads, puddings and cereals and cookies.
- Favorite Flavors like Vanilla, almond, lemon & Maple extracts: Enhance flavor in the simplest cookies and cakes.
- Cocoa, Sweet Cocoa Mix: Supplements Nonfat Dry Milk
- Punch Powder: Flavors water, puddings and pie fillings.
Note: For long-term storage, keep unopened boxes, cans or jars of spices and herbs in a closed plastic container or bag and store in a cool, dry, dark place. Once spices are opened, keep them sealed in a second container to maintain their flavor and aroma.
Source: Adapted from Ensign Article by Josephine Newton