WINTER ITEMS FOR THE CAR TRUNK:
1) Tool kit: Equipped to handle basic repairs on the road. It should contain jumper cables, fix-a-flat, duct or electrical tape, adjustable crescent wrench, Philips and flat head screwdrivers and pliers.
2) Shovel (preferably collapsible)
3) Extra gas container
4) Tow rope
5) Flashlight with extra batteries
6) Windshield Scraper
7) Tire jack
9) Road maps
10) Box of kitty litter or sand for traction in the snow
11) Extra set of clothing for every member of your family: Socks, sweaters, pants and hats are most essential. Wool is the best insulator as it keeps you warm even when wet. Synthetic fibers such as polypropylene are also good especially if your skin is sensitive to wool. Cotton is a a poor choice as it is non-insulating and absorbs water. Make sure your jackets or coats are waterproof.
12) Bright red cloth: Recognized as a distress call when tied to your antenna.
13) Enough food and water for two or three days: Light weight and shelf stable items such as food bars pack a lot of energy without taking up much space. Water is available in foil packs or water boxes.
14) A few light sticks or candles: Dusk comes early and it's comforting to have a little light if batteries run low in the flashlights.
15) First Aid Kit
17) Large empty can with cover and toilet paper (for sanitation needs)
18) Portable radio
Source: Emergency Essentials, http://beprepared.com/Articles/Winterizecar.html